Recipe by Aroostook
When there is snow up to your elbows, try this simple but hearty soup. The brown rice makes it a stick-to-your-ribs meal. Great with hot crusty peasant bread.
- 2 chicken breasts (bone in)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 5 cups cold water
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice
- 3 cups canned chicken stock or 3 cups water
- 1 cup frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken and 1 cup onion in a sauce pan with 5 cups cold water.
- Bring chicken to a boil and simmer covered 45 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Place brown rice in another sauce pan and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- To assemble soup: Remove chicken from stock and debone.
- Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces.
- Remove potato pieces and mash. Add 1 cup onion, celery salt, onion powder to chicken broth Simmer for ten minutes until onions are tender.
- Add chicken pieces, brown rice (and liquid if any) mashed potato to the simmering broth.
- Stir well.
- Add frozen peas at the last minute.
- Serve with hot crusty bread.