Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I found this recipe in The American Heart Association Cookbook that was published in 1975. I have made this countless times.Its sooo good. Every year I make this for the xmas party at work....They tell me I better not show up without it!!!!
- 10 ounces frozen broccoli
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can canned mushroom slices, with liquid
- 1 lb cooked chicken, sliced (or 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey)
- 2 tablespoons parsley sprigs (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Cook broccoli according to package directions.(I use a little more)This recipe can be made with asparagus instead of broccoli.
- Mix margarine and flour together in saucepan.
- Cook briefly over medium heat.
- Blend in chicken broth,stirring constantly until thickened and smooth.
- Stir in mushrooms and their liquid.
- Season to taste.(I use garlic powder and season salt.Also I make twice as much sauce).
- Place cooked broccoli pieces in a shallow pan.
- Cover with sliced chicken and pour mushroom sauce over all.
- Top with parsley and bread crumbs.( I use more bread crumbs than recipe calls for.).
- Bake, uncovered,15 to 25 minutes, or until bubbly and brown on top.
Very tastey. Next time I'll double the recipe so we can have leftovers(: