Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe started from the back of a Thai Kitchen curry paste jar. A few modifications and I lost my main reason for wanting to go out for Thai. Now we can have it whenever we want in the comfort of home. Use chicken or beef or eliminate the meat and use your favorite vegetables. This is a versatile and tasty recipe.
- 1 tablespoon green curry paste or 1 tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk (light works fine)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil (or 1/8 c. dried)
- 1 can bamboo shoot, drained
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 -4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- In a medium saucepan combine curry paste and coconut milk and heat.
- Just before boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over freshly cooked rice.
Excellent Thai Curry! I used hearts of palm diced (couldn't find any bamboo) and red curry paste and the heat was just right for us - even the 2 year old liked it (I was surprised!). For those who think it's too thin - Thai curries are usually thinner than Indian curries, but if you like a thicker sauce you can mix 2-3 tbs of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of cream or milk in a separate cup and then add it to the curry towards the end of the cooking. Cook and stir until thickened. Great flavors! I used light coconut milk this time, but I missed the richness and will use regular next time. I might also reduce the fish oil to 2 tbs next time to allow the sweetness to come through more. Thanks so much for an awesome recipe!
This certainly couldn't have been easier to make! I really appreciated the fact that the chicken was poached in the liquid and not cooked separately - very moist. Child-friendly as the curry paste didn't overpower the remaining ingredients. I even got to use that can of bamboo shoots I've had in the cupboard since...can't remember.LOL We reallyl liked this.
This was very tasty. I liked being able to cook everything together in my wok. I was out of fresh basil so I had to use dried, but will make again with fresh. Made for ZWT6.