Recipe by LorrieK
I found this quiche to be surprisingly full of flavor even though I used skim milk.
Top Review by Ellee
Made this yesterday and it was very good. It was quite peppery; I think next time I'll use 1/2 tsp black ground pepper and add 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper sauce for a little zing. I really liked the fact that this recipe did not call for cream or half and half or evaporated milk which I never have around. I was unsure about pre-baking the crust (I used a store brand deep-dish frozen pie shell) but it was a good call; I think the bottom didn't get as soggy as other quiches I've made. Because of the pre-baking I did cover the edges w/ aluminum foil for the first half of cooking. The quiche took longer than 45 minutes to set (more like an hour)... I'm guessing it was because I did not drain and dry the broccoli enough before adding. This has happened to me before when adding veggies to quiches so I've made a mental note to self to not add 'moist' veggies to quiches!
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli, steamed and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake crust for 10 minutes or until the bottom is slightly browned. Cool slightly.
- Cook onions in melted butter until soft. Cool slightly, then whisk together with milk, eggs, flour, seasonings, and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese over bottom of crust. Layer chicken and broccoli over the cheese, then pour egg mixture over all.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. You may want to cover the crust edges with foil for the first 20 minutes.