Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this quiche to be surprisingly full of flavor even though I used skim milk.
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli, steamed and chopped
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake crust for 10 minutes or until the bottom is slightly browned. Cool slightly.
- Cook onions in melted butter until soft. Cool slightly, then whisk together with milk, eggs, flour, seasonings, and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese over bottom of crust. Layer chicken and broccoli over the cheese, then pour egg mixture over all.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. You may want to cover the crust edges with foil for the first 20 minutes.
Made this yesterday and it was very good. It was quite peppery; I think next time I'll use 1/2 tsp black ground pepper and add 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper sauce for a little zing. I really liked the fact that this recipe did not call for cream or half and half or evaporated milk which I never have around. I was unsure about pre-baking the crust (I used a store brand deep-dish frozen pie shell) but it was a good call; I think the bottom didn't get as soggy as other quiches I've made. Because of the pre-baking I did cover the edges w/ aluminum foil for the first half of cooking. The quiche took longer than 45 minutes to set (more like an hour)... I'm guessing it was because I did not drain and dry the broccoli enough before adding. This has happened to me before when adding veggies to quiches so I've made a mental note to self to not add 'moist' veggies to quiches!