Recipe by Brenda.
No need to heat up the oven on a hot day for this dish.
Top Tweak by Aspen C.
I make the sauce with 3 cans cream of chicken soup (2 cans Progresso cream of mushroom for GF peeps), 1 cup mayo, juice of a lemon, 1 tsp curry, 1 tsp turmeric, and then the Parmesan and Swiss cheeses stated above. Thickened with cornstarch if needed. Makes it tangy and flavorful... Thank my grandma!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken breasts, cubed (about 1#)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, chopped, thawed
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rice
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add water, sherry, broccoli, and soup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice to the skillet and stir.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add the half-and-half, stirring continually until smooth.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Add swiss cheese and remove from heat.
- Beat sauce with a wire whisk for 5 minutes.
- Beat in broth.
- Spoon chicken mixture in a serving dish.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Top with remaining parmesan cheese.