Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
No need to heat up the oven on a hot day for this dish.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken breasts, cubed (about 1#)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry or 1 tablespoon chicken broth
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli, chopped, thawed
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rice
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add water, sherry, broccoli, and soup.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice to the skillet and stir.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese.
- In a separate large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually add the half-and-half, stirring continually until smooth.
- Boil for 1 minute.
- Add swiss cheese and remove from heat.
- Beat sauce with a wire whisk for 5 minutes.
- Beat in broth.
- Spoon chicken mixture in a serving dish.
- Pour sauce over chicken.
- Top with remaining parmesan cheese.
Wasn't too hard too make but it just didn't have a lot of flavor to it. If I make it again I will probably add more swiss to it and parmesan and maybe a few mild spices. I love broccoli, chicken and swiss cheese so I thought I would really like this. It wasn't uneatable, just not enough flavor to enjoy eating it. With some adjustments this could be pretty good though.
This was really simple even though at first it sounded like a lot of steps. Everyone loved it and I will definately make again.
5 Stars ! why? becuase DH, who doesn't ever have Chicken on his favourites list actualy liked it!Due to availability of ingredients I changed things around a little bit: no frozen broccoli, so I simmered everything a little longer with finely chopped fresh broccoli, no "cream-of ... -soups" so I used recipe#57287 with 2.5 cups of homemade chicken stock, and no quick cooking rice so I made basmati rice seperately, for the half and half I used 1 cup cream,since the rest of the liquid was more or less topped up by the chicke stock and for the swiss cheese I used Goudse Oud. I DID use the sherry as well as the chicken broth and thought that it did bring something to the flavour. I also added salt and pepper since I wasn't using commercial canned soup. Since DH was out picking up kids and traffic delays can range considerably I put this into an oven dish, topped it with a little Goudse Oud and Parmesan and put into the oven until they arrived home. Please see my rating system: 5 excellent stars for a recipe that was easy to put together even with the necessary adoptions, and which still stayed very true to the origonal recipe and came out wonderfully. DH doesn't usually have seconds on any chicken recipe.. today he did! That's worth 5 stars to me:) Thanks!