Recipe by Cathy41
A creamy chicken casserole with broccoli that goes great over rice. This was made up to meet fussy kid tastes and to be gluten free with very few ingredients on hand. Very simple, but it does take a little prep time to reduce the mushroom soup. Progresso makes a chunky, creamy mushroom soup that is gluten free. Great comfort food for gluten free diets without being bland.
- 2 cups cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 small head of broccoli, chopped
- 1 (18 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup (Progresso)
- 2⁄3 cup gluten-free light sour cream
- 2 tablespoons sherry wine
- 1⁄2 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 ounces swiss cheese, shredded
- butter (optional) or margarine (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash the broccoli and chop into desired size. Steam in a microwave steamer for two minutes on high.
- Cook cream of mushroom soup on low until it begins to thicken. Stir frequently. When soup has thickened, remove from heat.
- Fill 7x11" baking dish with cooked, chopped chicken and steamed broccoli.
- Stir sour cream and sherry into thickened soup. Spoon mushroom pieces over the chicken and broccoli and pour remaining soup evenly over casserole.
- Cover casserole with shredded swiss cheese.
- Top with gluten free bread crumbs and dot with butter if desired.
- Place in 350 F oven and heat for 30 minutes or until bubbly.