Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you like chicken hot pockets or pizzas you'll love this! This is a wonderful blend of flavors all mixed into a Calzone.
- 1 package yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons leaf oregano
- 3 cups flour
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups broccoli
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground oregano
- 1 tablespoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1 egg white
- Dough: Dissolve Yeast in 1 cup warm water for 10 minutes, or until creamy.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, oil, sugar, salt, and oregano leaf.
- Add in the yeast water mixture.
- Mix well until a ball forms.
- Spread extra four on kneading board, knead dough for 8 minutes, adding flour as needed until the right consistency is formed.
- Set aside in greased bowl, covered with damp cloth, in a warm area of the kitchen for 30 minutes.
- This dough should rise to twice its size.
- Mean while, shred cooked chicken breast meat.
- Mix in Chipotle sauce.
- Mix well until blended completely.
- Mix in soup, seasonings, cheese, and broccoli.
- Split dough into two balls.
- Roll out first ball until 1/4" to 3/8" thickness.
- Place 1/2 of chicken mix to the center of the round dough leaving at least 1.
- 5" of uncovered dough around the edge.
- Moisten the edge with water.
- Fold over dough to form 1/2 circle.
- Crimp edges forming a decorative pie crust style edge.
- Set aside on greased cookie sheet and begin to build 2nd calzone.
- Set both aside for 30 minutes to allow dough to rise.
- Break an egg over a small bowl, being careful not to add the yolk.
- Mix egg white with fork until loose and fluffy.
- Brush egg white over the top of the calzones before placing in the oven.
- This will make them golden brown.
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes.
This recipe was terrible! The 1 T. of cumin overpowered the entire filling! I normally love cumin but it did not mix well with the other ingredients in this recipe. I would also omit (or at least quarter) the amount of coriander and oregano in the filling.