Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is so easy to prepare, yet the presentation is wonderful. My DH loved this and hes not too keen on chicken. Very easy to prepare for a special occasion as you can make the bundles in advance, and then pop in the oven half an hour before serving. I served with asparagus almondine. Adopted from a Rachel Ray recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 slices brie cheese
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 *F.
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water for 5 mins, until just tender, drain and put in ice water to stop cooking. Drain and pat dry.
- Season the chicken breasts with the salt, pepper, thyme and lemon zest.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil and saute the chicken breasts for 5 mins a side until golden. remove from pan.
- To the same skillet add the butter and the mushrooms and cook for 5 mins until slightly brown and tender. Add the sherry and dijon mustard and simmer for 5 minutes Add the cream and season with salt and pepper, simmer for a furthur 2 minutes Remove from heat.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out on a floured surface and cut into 2 large squares ( 8 " X 8" ).
- In a small bowl mix the egg and water together and brush the edges of the 2 pastry squares with the egg mix.
- Place 3 slices of brie in the middle of each puff pastry sheet, and top with a chicken breast.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Now fold up the pastry, pinching the edges together to seal.
- Place the bundles seam side down on a greased baking sheet, and brush with the remaining egg mix.
- Using any leftover pastry pieces cut out heart shapes and place on top of the bundles, brushing with more of the egg mix.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins until the pastry is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tbsps butter to a skillet and toss the asparagus and almonds together and saute for 5 mins, until the almonds are golden brown.
- Serve with the bundles.