Recipe by ChefDebs
This is so easy to prepare, yet the presentation is wonderful. My DH loved this and hes not too keen on chicken. Very easy to prepare for a special occasion as you can make the bundles in advance, and then pop in the oven half an hour before serving. I served with asparagus almondine. Adopted from a Rachel Ray recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb asparagus
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons sherry wine
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 slices brie cheese
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 *F.
- Cook the asparagus in boiling water for 5 mins, until just tender, drain and put in ice water to stop cooking. Drain and pat dry.
- Season the chicken breasts with the salt, pepper, thyme and lemon zest.
- In a skillet heat the olive oil and saute the chicken breasts for 5 mins a side until golden. remove from pan.
- To the same skillet add the butter and the mushrooms and cook for 5 mins until slightly brown and tender. Add the sherry and dijon mustard and simmer for 5 minutes Add the cream and season with salt and pepper, simmer for a furthur 2 minutes Remove from heat.
- Roll the puff pastry sheet out on a floured surface and cut into 2 large squares ( 8 " X 8" ).
- In a small bowl mix the egg and water together and brush the edges of the 2 pastry squares with the egg mix.
- Place 3 slices of brie in the middle of each puff pastry sheet, and top with a chicken breast.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Now fold up the pastry, pinching the edges together to seal.
- Place the bundles seam side down on a greased baking sheet, and brush with the remaining egg mix.
- Using any leftover pastry pieces cut out heart shapes and place on top of the bundles, brushing with more of the egg mix.
- Bake in the oven for 30 mins until the pastry is golden brown.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tbsps butter to a skillet and toss the asparagus and almonds together and saute for 5 mins, until the almonds are golden brown.
- Serve with the bundles.