1/2 Photos of Chicken and Bok Choy Soup
I make this with Shanghai Bok Choy, a smaller Bok Choy than the regular one with light green ribs rather than the white ribs. If you have Bok Choy in a Chinese restaurant, they tend to slice it lengthways and cook the whole thing at once. I decided to cook the ribs and leaves separately and accidentally came up with this recipe because I was distracted after adding the ribs. I found that by overcooking the ribs slightly, they take on an almost buttery flavour, a nice contrast to the freshness of the leaves. I make this with Easy Prep Vegetable Stock (Easy Prep Vegetable Stock). One serving of this soup contains quite a lot of protein and is suitable for South Beach or Sure Slim weight loss programmes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop the onion and garlic in the food processor.
- 2Fry the onion and garlic in the oil.
- 3Chop the chicken breast into cubes and then add to the food processor and pulse to get ground/minced chicken. Alternatively, you can buy chicken mince and chop the onion finely. I like to know what has gone into my chicken mince!
- 4Add to the onion and stir to brown the chicken.
- 5Add the vegetable stock (you could use chicken stock if you have it), a good pinch of salt, grind of pepper and the soy sauce.
- 6Twist the leaves off the Bok Choy (I find that easier and quicker than chopping them).
- 7Rinse any dirt off the ribs and chop coarsely. Add to the soup.
- 8Simmer for 10 minutes.
- 9Roughly chop the leaves and add to the soup.
- 10Simmer for another 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Bok Choy Soup
Serving Size: 1 (249 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 232.6
- Calories from Fat 116
- Total Fat 12.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 64.0 mg
- Sodium 388.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 23.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: