Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
I make this with Shanghai Bok Choy, a smaller Bok Choy than the regular one with light green ribs rather than the white ribs. If you have Bok Choy in a Chinese restaurant, they tend to slice it lengthways and cook the whole thing at once. I decided to cook the ribs and leaves separately and accidentally came up with this recipe because I was distracted after adding the ribs. I found that by overcooking the ribs slightly, they take on an almost buttery flavour, a nice contrast to the freshness of the leaves. I make this with Easy Prep Vegetable Stock (Easy Prep Vegetable Stock). One serving of this soup contains quite a lot of protein and is suitable for South Beach or Sure Slim weight loss programmes.
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 400 g chicken breasts
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 450 g bok choy
- Chop the onion and garlic in the food processor.
- Fry the onion and garlic in the oil.
- Chop the chicken breast into cubes and then add to the food processor and pulse to get ground/minced chicken. Alternatively, you can buy chicken mince and chop the onion finely. I like to know what has gone into my chicken mince!
- Add to the onion and stir to brown the chicken.
- Add the vegetable stock (you could use chicken stock if you have it), a good pinch of salt, grind of pepper and the soy sauce.
- Twist the leaves off the Bok Choy (I find that easier and quicker than chopping them).
- Rinse any dirt off the ribs and chop coarsely. Add to the soup.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Roughly chop the leaves and add to the soup.
- Simmer for another 2 minutes.
This was excellent and I'll make it again. I added some sliced shitake shrooms and a red pepper cut into 1cm cubes so it wouldn't be quite so blonde.
Just cooked this now and it was delicious. I also added chilli. Very quick dish and delightful
I used the recipe (minus the chicken as I already had pork dumplings to use) to tell me what to do with a sudden surge of Bok Choy I found myself with. This was fantastic! My six year old gobbled this soup up even though she'd never had bok choy before. We all loved it! Thanks to this recipe we can add bok choy to the list of veggies we can get in our 6 year old! Thanks! :-P