Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
As you can tell by looking at my recipes, we love black beans. We really like soup too! This is delicious! Great for a cold day. Recipe from "America's Best Slow Cooker Recipes." Cooking time is if you cook soup on Low.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 (19 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels
- 1 (19 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained or 2 cups cooked black beans
- 2 cups mild salsa or 2 cups hot salsa
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Cook chicken until no longer pink.
- Using slotted spoon, remove chicken from pan, and transfer to crock pot.
- Add all remaining ingredients, and cook on Low for 4-6 hours, or High for 2-3 hours.
This turned out to be a great meal. I did change it up a bit due to laziness and what I had on hand. I did not cook anything ahead of time, just put everything in the crockpot. I omitted the corn as we don't really care for it and used tomato sauce and extra salsa for the diced tomatoes. I was worried because I forgot the seasonings! but it turned out great anyway!
This was an awesome recipe for a pour college student. I actually had most of these ingredients just sitting around my apartment and it was super easy to make. I did make some additions to the recipe. I added taco seasoning to the meat and I also added in cumin along with two cups of rice and a little bit of cilantro. I garnished with both sour cream and cheese but I think if you weren't a rice fan some tortilla chips might be good too!
This is really good. Threw it all in the crock pot, with frozen chicken, this morning, and when we got home tonight, I shredded the chicken and threw it back in. Adjusted seasoning and it was ready to go! I did make some changes, mostly because I don't have many canned veggies, and I didn't have salsa. So... added one can stewed tomatoes, diced, filled the can with frozen corn and added that, and added about half a can of tomato sauce on top of the chicken. I added cumin, cause how can you have chili without it, and a little paprika. Garnished this with a little shredded cheese and sour cream. Really good, and I love black beans, so this one will be made again.