1/1 Photo of Chicken and Biscuits from Scratch
1 hr 25 mins
One of my favorite recipes. Definitely worth the effort, you will thank yourself whilst you are eating it. To make things go faster, I try to cook the chicken ahead of time. Also, before you start cooking you can make the biscuits portion of the recipe and leave out the milk. Set it aside, and then add the milk at the end. Don't be discouraged by the number of steps. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked chicken breasts
- 5 stalks celery
- 1/2 large onion
- 6 pieces bacon
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- 2Chop the celery and the onion into small pieces.
- 3Cut the bacon into 1/2" wide strips, like you are making bacon bits.
- 4Brown bacon and remove from pan and place on paper towel.
- 5Take 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and put into a sauce pan. Make sure that the sauce pan is at least 3 quarts.
- 6On medium heat cook the celery and onion until the onion is translucent, roughly 10 minutes.
- 7Add the 1/3 Cup of flour to the celery and onion and mix together.
- 8Add the chicken stock and stir. Let the mixture get close to boiling.
- 9Add the sour cream, bacon, and chicken pieces and stir while letting it heat.
- 10Turn the heat down, and begin to make the biscuits.
- 11In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
- 12Add the shortening, and use a pastry cutter to make the mixture into fine crumbs.
- 13Add the milk and use a fork to mash the mixture together. Knead the dough a few times and make into a ball.
- 14Roll the dough with a rolling pin into a 1/4" thick sheet. Cut out the biscuits.
- 15Pour the soup into a 9x13-inch casserole dish and place the cut out biscuits on top.
- 16Cook in the oven for 22-24 minutes. Just make sure that the top of the biscuits are golden brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Biscuits from Scratch
Serving Size: 1 (459 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 833.4
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 137.0 mg
- Sodium 1118.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 47.8 g