One of my favorite recipes. Definitely worth the effort, you will thank yourself whilst you are eating it. To make things go faster, I try to cook the chicken ahead of time. Also, before you start cooking you can make the biscuits portion of the recipe and leave out the milk. Set it aside, and then add the milk at the end. Don't be discouraged by the number of steps. Enjoy!
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Chop the celery and the onion into small pieces.
- Cut the bacon into 1/2" wide strips, like you are making bacon bits.
- Brown bacon and remove from pan and place on paper towel.
- Take 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and put into a sauce pan. Make sure that the sauce pan is at least 3 quarts.
- On medium heat cook the celery and onion until the onion is translucent, roughly 10 minutes.
- Add the 1/3 Cup of flour to the celery and onion and mix together.
- Add the chicken stock and stir. Let the mixture get close to boiling.
- Add the sour cream, bacon, and chicken pieces and stir while letting it heat.
- Turn the heat down, and begin to make the biscuits.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.
- Add the shortening, and use a pastry cutter to make the mixture into fine crumbs.
- Add the milk and use a fork to mash the mixture together. Knead the dough a few times and make into a ball.
- Roll the dough with a rolling pin into a 1/4" thick sheet. Cut out the biscuits.
- Pour the soup into a 9x13-inch casserole dish and place the cut out biscuits on top.
- Cook in the oven for 22-24 minutes. Just make sure that the top of the biscuits are golden brown.
I halved this recipe and it turned out a mess. The bottom was too soupy and the biscuits never rose. I salvaged it by taking it out of the oven, removing the biscuits, dumping the chicken mix into a sauce pan and simmering it until it thickened. (I also added more spice, as it was rather bland) Then I made a batch of my drop biscuits, partially cooked them, then returned everything to the oven to finish it up. I have no idea how to rate this recipe due to all of this, but I thought I'd let others know.
This is delicious! Creamy, substantial, good ol comfort food! Very easy steps to prepare and didn't take near as long as stated!(I had cooked the chicken ahead of time) Will DEFINITELY make this again and again! Thank you for a wonderful meal!! :)