Recipe by Nine 1/2 fingers
This Dutch recipe is my mother's. She was making this in Holland from scratch during the war. In 1951 we came to America and she continued making it until she quit cooking around 1981. I Love this soup, my brother and sister and I make this especially around Christmas and New Years time. After coming to the US in 1951 she found that the boxed Lipton Chicken Soup without meat worked and tasted as well as spending time making her own chicken broth.
Top Review by Marcy1
My Oma and Opa always had a pot of a very similar soup on when we came to visit. This and olliebollen, stompot, and croquettes are some of my favourite foods. Thank-you, Mr. Wapstra!
- 2 (1 7/8 ounce) boxes Lipton Instant Chicken Soup Mix, NO chicken meat (2 envelopes per box)
- 4 quarts water
- 1 lb ground beef (15-22% fat content (Using a low fat beef will not work as the soup will taste like boiled water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup dried parsley
- 2 -3 ounces vermicelli
- 1 dash Dutch Beef Extract Maggi (American brand MAGI will not work as it tastes very different from the Dutch brand)
Directions See How It's Made
- Follow instructions on the box for instant soup. Too much or too little water and the soup is either too weak or too salty.
- Add chicken stock mix to boiling water.
- Roll ground beef into little meat balls approximately the size of a quarter.
- Bring chicken stock mix to a boil, add the meat balls, add the vermicelli, nutmeg and parsley. Break vermicelli noodles into 1/2 inch pieces. adding too much vermicelli makes the soup too thick.
- Cook until all meatballs surface, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add a dash of Magi to taste, otherwise use salt and pepper. (a few dashes of dark Japanese soy sauce can be substituted, but it just doesn't taste the same, just too salty).
- This soup can be eaten right after it is made, but is much better the following day after it is refrigerated and reheated. Place in refrigerator.
- After cooling, don't skim fat.
- Place back on burner and reheat.
- Good for three or four days and is delicious. To serve as a meal, add a nice salad and some crusty bread and butter. Enjoy!