Nine 1/2 fingers's Note:
This Dutch recipe is my mother's. She was making this in Holland from scratch during the war. In 1951 we came to America and she continued making it until she quit cooking around 1981. I Love this soup, my brother and sister and I make this especially around Christmas and New Years time. After coming to the US in 1951 she found that the boxed Lipton Chicken Soup without meat worked and tasted as well as spending time making her own chicken broth.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (1 7/8 ounce) boxes Lipton Instant Chicken Soup Mix, NO chicken meat (2 envelopes per box)
- 4 quarts water
- 1 lb ground beef (15-22% fat content (Using a low fat beef will not work as the soup will taste like boiled water)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup dried parsley
- 2 -3 ounces vermicelli
- 1 dash Dutch Beef Extract Maggi (American brand MAGI will not work as it tastes very different from the Dutch brand)
- 1Follow instructions on the box for instant soup. Too much or too little water and the soup is either too weak or too salty.
- 2Add chicken stock mix to boiling water.
- 3Roll ground beef into little meat balls approximately the size of a quarter.
- 4Bring chicken stock mix to a boil, add the meat balls, add the vermicelli, nutmeg and parsley. Break vermicelli noodles into 1/2 inch pieces. adding too much vermicelli makes the soup too thick.
- 5Cook until all meatballs surface, approximately 15 minutes.
- 6Add a dash of Magi to taste, otherwise use salt and pepper. (a few dashes of dark Japanese soy sauce can be substituted, but it just doesn't taste the same, just too salty).
- 7This soup can be eaten right after it is made, but is much better the following day after it is refrigerated and reheated. Place in refrigerator.
- 8After cooling, don't skim fat.
- 9Place back on burner and reheat.
- 10Good for three or four days and is delicious. To serve as a meal, add a nice salad and some crusty bread and butter. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Beef Meatball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (538 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.9
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 74.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 15.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Lipton Instant Chicken Soup Mix
Dutch Beef Extract Maggi