Recipe by Vseward Chef-V
Who says you have to cook all day in a crockpot. I use mine to simmer dishes such as this one so I don't have to watch the stove. If you like the flavors of green chili chicken enchiladas you'll love this recipe. I use shredded Rotiserre chicken, Northern Beans and green chiles with a few of my favorite spices to make this hearty chicken chili. What's better than smelling sauteed garlic and onion to start, infusing with red pepper and cumin adding all into a crockpot only to simmer while you do other things. In no time you have a family-pleasing main course. Adjust the heat to your tastes! Add a kick with preprared Salsa for a more intense flavor. If you like soups/chilis or stews thicker, add the cornstarch slurry. Serve with cornbread, tortillas or crusty french bread. ;) V's family favorite! I serve this Chili over leftover spanish rice that I freeze just for this dish. Mmm
Top Review by NurseJaney
Worked very well ! Had a VERY small rotisserie chicken a few days ago, a tad dry. Found this recipe, and prepared the leftovers mostly according to directions. Let it simmer in the crockpot about 4 hours on low, and served over a rice packet. Had cannellonis in place of Northern beans, and will enjoy leftovers as well. Thanks for posting.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne or 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper, more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano (I use Mexican oregano )
- 1 rotisserie-cooked chicken, shredded (4 cups)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans (Ranch Style with jalapeno, drained) (optional)
- 3 cups chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 cup water
- 1 -2 tablespoon salsa verde (Green Salsa) (optional)
- 1 dash paprika
- 1 dash dried cilantro
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water (for slurry) (optional)
- chopped onion
- chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a sautee pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 3 or 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until onions are softened. Add butter and continue to cook.
- Stir in cumin, salt, red pepper, oregano. Cook 6 to 7 minutes.
- While that's cooking, pour chicken broth, water, chilis,into crockpot. Stir in beans. add onion garlic mixture.(add salsa if using).
- Shred Chicken breast and some dark meat from Rotiserre chicken removing skin. (4 cups).
- Add chicken to crockpot, mix to combine.
- top with a dash or two of paprika, dried onion flakes and dried cilantro leaves.
- Let it simmer (I set my crockpot on the lowest setting) for an hour or so. (add 3 Tbs of water to 1/3 cup cornstarch - add to soup about 10 minutes before serving).
- Run the kids to practice or have a cocktail. When you're ready for a hearty meal, just serve!
- (I serve this chili over left over spanish rice that I freeze) Mmmm!
- Enjoy. ~V.