Cook1 hr 30 mins
I found a recipe on the internet then altered it to suit us. It's very much comfort food and very yummy.
- 9.85 ml oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 slice bacon, diced
- 2 stick celery, sliced fine
- 1 carrot, diced
- 118.29 ml pearl barley
- 2 sprig thyme
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, cutlets
- 19.71 ml paprika (I used half smoked, half sweet)
- salt and pepper
- 473.18 ml chicken stock
- 118.29 ml frozen baby peas
- 59.16 ml sour cream
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 160c.
- Heat the oil(in an oven proof pan) over a medium heat, add the onion, bacon, garlic, celery and carrot and cook gently, stirring for a few minutes until the onion is softened. Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle over the pearl barley and scatter the thyme sprigs over.
- Combine the paprika, salt and pepper and sprinkle the mix over the chicken cutlet. Lay these over the veg/barley mix. Pour over the stock.
- Cover and cook in the oven 1 1/2 hours or until the chicken is very tender and barley has absorbed most of the water.
- Remove the chicken to a plate, remove the twigs of the thyme, add in the peas, sour cream and parsley. Return the chicken to the pan and pop back in the oven for a few minutes to heat through then serve.
- Nice with steamed veg-we had cauliflower and silverbeet (swiss chard) with ours.
This was a nice recipe, but mine came out quite runny, I think the next time I make it I will use less chicken stock. I enjoyed the pearl barley, it turned out tender and a nice match with the chicken. I also felt it needed more veggies - made two carrots and more peas. But it definitely had a nice flavor.