Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Nice stew with a tossed green salad and sourdough bread.
Make and share this Chicken and Barley Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄2 cup raw barley
- 5 cups chicken stock (I use boullion cubes & water)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- Toss all of the ingredients, except the parsley into a large stock pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover loosely and reduce the heat to low.
- Let the stew simmer for about 1 1/4 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken from the stew and slice it into bite-sized pieces.
- Then return the chicken to the stew and continue to simmer for 15 min more.
- Swirl the parsley into each bowl before serving.
When i first reviewed this recipe I gave it 4 stars for being bland, but after making it a few times I have found a way to make it spectacular. First, start with a good stock, not boullion cubes. Next, increase the celery and use the inside leafy part and top leafy part - just chop them up. Then substitute fresh thyme, add some sage (fresh is really best) and increase all the herbs by about 2-3times as much. Also, I add several cloves of garlic. With the new recipe my husband and I can't get enough, even though the soup is quite filling. I have also tried adding some lemon juice, which changes the flavor a bit and is just wonderful.
I've made a similar beef stew with barely recipe which calls for mushrooms. I added them to this one as well. Also, I added a little worchestershire sauce. Both additions make the stew a bit more hearty.
Great recipe! I made quite a few changes, but I wanted to post so I could repeat it in the future because it was so delicious! I sauteed the onion and 4 cloves of garlic in a little EVOO before adding the stock. I used 3 cups of stock + 3 cups of H20 + 2 tsp chicken base. I had roasted a chicken with sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips, so I added the leftover chicken and veggies to the stock. I added about 3/4 cup of sherry because I Love sherry in chicken soup, and 3 stalks of celery and 1 tsp of sage per another reviewer's suggestion and it was a perfect compliment! Thanks so much for the recipe, Bertha, this soup was awesome!