1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Highland Ward's Note:
Freezes well and great for those cold inversion days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 lbs chicken, cut into 2-inch cubes (thighs and breasts)
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1/3 cup dry vermouth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and brown on all sides. Remove the chicken from the pan with a slotted spoon, reserving the oil in the pan, and set aside.
- 2Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the pan and sweat for 4 minutes, until tender.
- 3Add the thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper and stir to coat the vegetables.
- 4Return the chicken to the pan and add the stock and pearl barley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, partially cover, and simmer for 1 hour, until the barley is tender.
- 5Stir in the vermouth and simmer for 2 minutes to heat through.
- 6To serve, remove the bay leaves, ladle the soup into bowls, and top with the chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (584 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.4
- Calories from Fat 284
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 123.0 mg
- Sodium 981.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 40.1 g