Recipe by WI Cheesehead
This is from Baby, Let'd Eat! It was originally Barley Soup, but I changed it and added chicken. This comes out thick and creamy. Yum! I used dried minced onions as a time saver.
- 1⁄2 cup hulled barley
- 2 tablespoons hulled barley
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth, plus more if needed
- 1 carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt, to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place barley, chicken broth, carrot, sweet potato, broccoli, onion and bay leaf in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Stir occasionally from time to time and check to see that there is enough liquid. If not, add more chicken broth.
- After 1 hour, add chicken and simmer for another 1/2 hour, or until barley is soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve.