Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Recipe found in the Martha Stewart's Living January/2008 edition.
- 10 cups water
- 3 chicken drumsticks
- 1 whole skinless chicken breast, split
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled (4 left whole and 4 very thinly sliced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 12 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons coarsely chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 4 inch pieces
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Bring water, chicken, onion, whole garlic cloves, bay leaves, thyme and parsley sprigs, peppercorns, carrots and celery to a boil in a pot, skimming foam from surface as necessary.
- Reduce heat, gently simmer until broth turns deep gold, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Let cool, then skim fat fom surface.
- Meanwhile, cook barley according to package instructions.
- Strain stock, reserving chicken breasts and discarding all other solids.
- Remove meat from bone, shred into 2 inch pieces.
- Reheat stock and chicken in a saucepan, stir in salt.
- Just before serving, finely chop remaining parsley with the lemon zest until combined.
- Heat oil in a skillet over med high heat.
- Add sliced garlic, and cook stirrin until fragrant but not browned, about 30 seconds.
- Divide barley, stock and chicken among 6 bowls.
- Garnish with sliced garlic and parsley-lemon mixture.