Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Needed to use up some cooked chicken one day and remembered the tinned Beef with Veg and Barley soup I used to eat as a kid. This version didn't come out too bad at all.
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, to taste
- Bring chicken broth to boil in large pot over medium heat; add pearl barley, mushrooms, carrots, celery and onion and simmer for 25 minutes; add potato and simmer 15 minutes longer, or until barley is tender; add chicken, herbs and lemon juice to soup; season to taste; simmer 5 minutes; if you like a thinner soup, thin with some more chicken broth.
- Note: If you want a'richer' soup, add up to 1/2 cup olive oil to the stock.
We loved this delicious, hearty soup! I made this in my 6-quart crockpot, cooking it on "high" for about 5 hours. The result was a very flavorful soup with tender vegetables and barley. I used pre-cooked grilled chicken strips and went a little heavy on the vegetables. I didn't use the lemon juice simply because I forgot to add it. Thank you for sharing this simple, delicious recipe. **Made for "Soup's On" challenge for the Culinary Quest - Suitcase Gourmets**
This soup is delicious and like comfort food for me. I adapted it a bit so I could cook it in a crockpot. I layered all the veggies, then place a large, skinned, bone-in chicken breast on top, then added the barely and poured in the liquid. I cooked this on high, between 5-6 hours. I took out the chicken breast, let it cool slightly, then shredded the chicken to put back into the soup. Then I added the herbs, lemon juice and some salt and pepper. We LOVE this soup! Made for the Soup's On Challenge for Russia in Culinary Quest - for the International Agents of QUEST.
Great soup. Made exactly as stated using homemade chicken stock. We really enjoyed this, thanks for a great new recipe.