Recipe by JustJanS
I've just discovered barley (apart from boiled in soups) so am on the lookout for new recipes using it. This one comes from the Taste site and looks good! I've "estimated" 60 minutes prep including cooking the barley and chicken (at the same time!) and then called it a no cook recipe.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 400 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 onion, halved
- 4 green onions, trimmed, white part only thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper strips
- 75 g baby rocket
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon honey
Directions See How It's Made
- Place barley in a bowl. Cover with warm water. Set aside for 30 minutes. Drain. Transfer to a large saucepan. Add 6 cups cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold water. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, place chicken, peppercorns and brown onion in a large saucepan. Add 5 cups cold water. Partially cover. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until just cooked through. Remove from heat. Set aside for 5 minutes. Remove chicken from onion mixture. Set aside to cool slightly. Discard onion mixture. Shred chicken.
- Add chicken to barley. Add green onion, bell pepper strips, rocket and pine nuts. Season with pepper.
- Make dressing: Place lemon juice, oil, cumin and honey in a screw-top jar. Secure lid. Shake to combine. Pour over chicken mixture. Toss to combine. Serve.