Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
I found this recipe on the back of a box of barley and thought it was a winner. I've tweaked it a bit, naturally, and expect you to do the same. (Recipes are like the pirate code, right? "Mostly guidelines")
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies (or fresh if you've got them)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- salt (add to taste) (optional)
- In a 4-qt saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in oil till onion is tender.
- Add remaining ingredients except chicken.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water or stock if it seems too thick.
- Add cooked chicken; continue simmering 5-10 minutes till chicken is heated through and barley is tender.
- Taste to adjust seasonings - I'm sure I add more chili powder and cumin than this calls for, maybe a touch of oregano.
- Salt is up to you - always easier to add it at the end than start with too much.
This was easy and delicious! Best part was that my young kiddos loved it too!! I added kidney beans in addition to the black and also drained and rinsed the beans before adding to the stock. Also, instead of using 3 cups water I sub'd chicken stock and omitted any table salt. This would be even better with Costco rotisserie chicken and would make it that much easier. Yum!
This is a great recipe. I make this so often and freeze individual portions to take for lunch during the week. I usually start with a pould of ground chicken and cook it with the onions and follow the recipe from there. My husbad really likes this chili too!
A quick and hearty soup perfect for the cold weather that we have been having. I used a combination of New Mexico chili powder and some ancho chili powder and being the garlic lover that I am, added 3 cloves of garlic.