1/1 Photo of Chicken and Barley Chili
1 hr 15 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
I found this recipe on the back of a box of barley and thought it was a winner. I've tweaked it a bit, naturally, and expect you to do the same. (Recipes are like the pirate code, right? "Mostly guidelines")
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup barley
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies (or fresh if you've got them)
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2-1 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- salt (add to taste) (optional)
- 1In a 4-qt saucepan or Dutch oven, cook onion and garlic in oil till onion is tender.
- 2Add remaining ingredients except chicken.
- 3Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
- 4Cover and simmer 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add more water or stock if it seems too thick.
- 5Add cooked chicken; continue simmering 5-10 minutes till chicken is heated through and barley is tender.
- 6Taste to adjust seasonings - I'm sure I add more chili powder and cumin than this calls for, maybe a touch of oregano.
- 7Salt is up to you - always easier to add it at the end than start with too much.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Barley Chili
Serving Size: 1 (398 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.2
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 36.6 mg
- Sodium 250.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 21.0 g