Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 -1 1⁄4 lb skinless chicken thigh
- black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, combine the first 8 ingredients.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Transfer hot barley mixture to an ungreased 2-quart baking dish.
- Place the chicken on top of barley mixture.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Bake, covered, in a preheated 350° oven for 30-35 minutes or until barley is tender and chicken is no longer pink.
I've made this several times now and I like it a lot, but at first I always had to microwave the barley at the end to get it done. I would suggest either using rolled barley instead of pearl or simmering it for 25 minutes or so with the spices before adding the veggies (then simmer 10 more minutes before putting everything in the oven.) I also like to use fresh sage and curry powder instead of poultry seasoning and add celery.
Awesome recipe! I too altered it a bit to make it stovetop friendly. I used 4 oz. of cooked shredded chicken which I added to the pan with all the other ingredients (excluding the quick-cooking barley I used). I cooked this on the stovetop for 10 minutes before adding in the barley. After I added the barley I added another 1/2 c. water since things were starting to stick. I cooked the dish for another 15 minutes total and then let it rest for 5 minutes. It was delicious and I will try making it again and may add celery and omit the chicken for a vegetarian dish!