Prep 40 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here's a slightly different take on the traditional lasagna.
Make and share this Chicken and Bacon Lasagna recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 65 g butter
- 75 g streaky bacon
- 1 chicken stock cube, dissolved in
- 250 ml boiling water
- 200 g spinach
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 500 g minced chicken
- salt and pepper
- 50 g flour, plus
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 600 ml milk
- 9 sheets no-boil lasagna pasta
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Sauté the onion in a large frying pan, with about a quarter of the butter.
- Meanwhile, slice the bacon into chunky strips.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the spinach.
- Return to a boil, drain and rinse with cold water.
- Squeeze all the water out of the spinach and slice it a few times.
- When the onion has been cooking for a few minutes, add the bacon, thyme and bay leaf.
- Increase the heat slightly and cook until the bacon starts to crisp.
- Add the chicken, cooking and stirring until it is nicely browned.
- Season with salt and pepper and then sift 1/2 tbsp flour over the top, stirring until it disappears.
- Add the lemon juice and stock.
- Increase the heat again and stir continuously as you bring the liquid to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and leave to simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes until the liquid has cooked into the chicken to make a thick and juicy sauce.
- Stir the spinach into the sauce and remove the pan from the heat.
- While the chicken is cooking, you can make the white sauce.
- Melt the rest of the butter in a small pan and then stir in the flour to make a thick paste.
- Gradually add the milk, stirring until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and keep stirring until you have a thick, smooth sauce (about five minutes).
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Grease a baking dish with a bit of the chicken sauce, then cover with three sheets of lasagne.
- Spread half the chicken sauce over the lasagne along with one third of the white sauce.
- Repeat with another layer of lasagne, the rest of the chicken, and another third of the white sauce.
- Lay the last three lasagne sheets over the top and cover with the last of the white sauce.
- Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and cook in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes.
- Take out when the top is nicely browned and the sauce is bubbling around the edge of the dish.
- Let stand five minutes before serving.