Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort cooking at its best, this recipe makes a simple yet tasty casserole for family and friends.
Make and share this Chicken and Bacon Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 450 g streaky bacon lardons, cut into 2cm chunks
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chicken, jointed
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 4cm chunks or 12 baby carrots, scrubbed and left whole
- 10 baby onions or 4 medium onions, peeled and halved
- 8 garlic cloves, peeled
- 400 ml chicken stock or 400 ml water
- 1 sprig fresh thyme or 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 sprig fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 kg potato, to serve
- Put the bacon into a small saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for three minutes, drain, and dry the bacon on kitchen paper.
- Heat a frying pan with two tablespoons of olive oil and sauté the blanched bacon until golden and crisp.
- Remove to a casserole, add the chicken pieces to the pan, adding more oil if necessary.
- Saute the chicken until golden, and remove from the casserole.
- Saute the carrots, onions and garlic for a minute or so, in the same oil. Return the bacon and chicken to the pan and pour in the stock, adding a sprig of thyme (or rosemary or sage).
- Simmer in a preheated oven at 160C for about 45 minutes, or until the chicken is tender.
- Skim any fat from the top of the casserole and sprinkle with chopped parsley to finish. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Great flavours - my family gobbled this down without any complaints! I added some dry white wine, and I just cooked this gently on top of the stove for a good couple of hours - delish! Thanks for a new keeper:-)