From the 2/17/2004 edition of Woman's Day magazine. A quick and easy meal that I adapted to make even easier. It only has three ingredients! You can purchase the already thinly sliced chicken breast which makes this so easy. If you don't you will need to pound the chicken to about 1/4 inch thick or just a bit thinner.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
- Simmer asparagus pieces in hot water until tender, 5-7 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Lay out the thinly sliced pieces of chicken breast and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange slices of cheese to within 1/4 inch of the surface of the chicken.
- Divide asparagus pieces among the chicken slices. Starting at the small end begin rolling up the chicken and securing each with several toothpicks.
- Place in baking dish seam side up.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until cooked through. Slice if desired.
This was good. I cooked the chicken for 30 minutes and it was a tad on the dry side so if your chicken is thin and your oven hot, go for the 25 minutes. I wonder if some cooking spray or olive oil would have kept it more moist. I added ham to the middle as suggested, but it still felt like it needed something. I agree that it makes for an impressive presentation and with a small tweek would be very guest worthy.
This was great! My DH enjoyed this very much. Even my little whiner... uh, I mean little girl ate this happily. I was so lucky to find fresh asparagus and it was terrific this way. I wasn't really clear on how it was to be cut up so I cut off the woody ends and laid 5 thin spears over the cheese on each breast and rolled them up. I mixed a can of cream of mushroom soup with about a half can or so of milk and poured that over top of the little bundles and baked them for 55 minutes. My chicken was a little thicker so it took longer. This looks very fancy and my husband thought I had spent a long time making it (I didn't tell him the truth) but it was actually very quick and simple to do. I love those kinds of recipes and this is one of them! Thanks for posting this Heidi! I'm putting this into regular rotation. Made for Holiday tag.
This was very simple to make and delicious. Maybe another time I will add a little bit of ham cause it would be great with asparagus. Thanks Heidi. Made for Newest Zaar Tag