DH and I love this casserole served with rice and a green salad. It's a bit rich so we don't eat it very often. We found it in the Jr League of Cincinnati's "River Feast".
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained (we like them quartered)
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 lb mushroom, fresh (halved or quartered if large)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a shallow baking dish.
- Place artichokes in the dish; top with the cooked chicken.
- In a skillet, melt 2 Tablespoons of the butter and saute the mushrooms until they've released their juices; pour over chicken/artichokes.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in flour, salt, pepper and cayenne to form a smooth paste.
- Whisk in the half-n-half; cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Stir in Worcestershire Sauce and Sherry.
- Pour over casserole and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated through and bubbling.
- Nice with brown or white rice and a green salad.