Recipe by evelyn/athens
A simple, tasty dish that can be prepared way ahead and popped into the oven on a busy day.
Top Review by ellie_
Very good for apricot lovers that even non-apricot lovers will enjoy. I usually only have apricots during the too short season in the summer, so I really liked finding this recipe using canned apricots. The directions were easy to follow except I skipped steps 8-10 but cooked it in the oven starting with step 11(I also didn't allow the extra setting days but had it on the same night that I cooked it with great results). Thanks Evelyn for sharing this great summer-in-winter dish which we all enjoyed very much.
- 1 (1 lb) can apricot halves in light syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 lbs chicken pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain apricots, reserving syrup.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and brown chicken pieces with garlic; drain off any fat.
- Stir together syrup, stock, soy sauce, cumin and season to taste.
- Pour over chicken.
- Cook, covered, over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
- Put chicken in heatproof casserole and reduce liquid in skillet to ½ cup on stove.
- Pour over chicken and place apricots on top.
- When food stops steaming, cover and refrigerate for 2-3 days.
- For longer storage, freeze, thaw in refrigerator overnight before continuing with recipe.
- Reheat in microwave or on top of stove over medium-low heat, until heated through, stirring often.
- Alternatively, reheat in 375F (175C) oven for about 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- To serve: Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Serve with steamed rice.