Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I came across this recipe when looking for things to make with fresh apricots during the too-short apricot season. Although I haven't made this yet I am planning on making it before the apricot season is over. Recipe source: Real Simple (June 2004)
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant couscous
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped,plus
- parsley sprig, for garnish
- 1 cup mint leaf, chopped
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked
- 3 fresh apricots, pitted and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 shallot, sliced into rings
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted pistachio nuts, shelled
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Place the couscous in a large salad bowl.
- In a medium saucepan bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil and stir in the cinnamon, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over the couscous. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until couscous is soft. Uncover and fluff with fork. Stir in parsley, mint and 2 tablespoons oil. Set aside.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a seperate bowl. Add the apricots, shallot and pistachios. Toss.
- Drizzle with the vinegar and remainining oil. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Toss.
- Add chicken mixture to couscous in salad bowl and toss.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs if desired.
This is a fantastic salad! I left out the fresh mint as I did not have any, the combination of all the flavors are perfrect together, I love this salad! thanks Ellie!