Recipe by GrumpyIrishLady
This is a fabulous recipe that can be made as an appetizer, hors d'ouevre or even a main course. Kids absolutely adore these and they get a lot of goodness in them.
Top Review by Alskann
These were good and easy to make. I think next time I will increase the cheese amount. The smoked cheddar gives it a good flavor. I made larger turnovers and served it as a main course.
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and shopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 small white onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400°F.
- Fry apple, garlic and onion in the butter until soft. Add thyme, salt and pepper, honey and chicken. Allow to cool slightly and mix in the cheddar.
- Roll out the puff pastry until about 2-3 mm thick. Using a glass cut out circles of the pastry. Roll the scraps and keep making circles until you've little to no pastry left.
- Place about a tablespoon of filling on each circle and seal the edges with egg wash and use a fork to press down to seal.
- Brush with egg wash and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. You can deep fry these as well, but you will only need to fry for about 3-4 minutes.