2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Epi Curious's Note:
Adapted from a Guy Fieri recipe published in More Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. I made a few modifications and added shrimp. This is a fantastic gumbo!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 1/2-4 lbs chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium vidalia onion, coarsely chopped (can sub yellow onion)
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 8 bay leaves (optional, I did not use and subbed 2 teaspoons Colonel Lee's Chicken and Seafood Seasoning)
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 lb shrimp, cleaned, tails removed
- 4 cups chicken broth (recommend low sodium, or chicken stock)
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped (flat leaf)
- 1Heat a 6-quart pot over medium-high heat. Add the oil. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and fry until golden brown on both sides and cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove and set aside, leaving the oil in the pot.
- 2To make the roux, reduce the heat to medium and stir the flour into the hot oil, making a thick paste. Cook, stirring, until the roux is the color of dark peanut butter, about 20 minutes. Watch closely and stir constantly because roux are easily burned.
- 3Stir in the garlic, celery, onion, bell pepper and bay leaves and let them sweat until the vegetables are soft. Add the andouille, chicken stock and salt and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1-1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to keep the roux from sticking to the bottom of the pot and burning.
- 4While the gumbo simmers, pull the meat from the chicken. Stir it into the gumbo the last 30 minutes or so of cooking, along with the shrimp.
- 5Remove the gumbo from the heat, discard the bay leaves (if used) and stir in the green onions and parsley. Serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Andouille Gumbo With Shrimp
Serving Size: 1 (682 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1176.5
- Calories from Fat 732
- Total Fat 81.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 413.2 mg
- Sodium 1808.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 82.2 g