Simply Chris's Note:
OK, this is GUMBO...the word means Okra...and this recipe does indeed include Okra. There are also lots of greens in this version which is lighter than the usual. It's an easy recipe and doesn't take a long time to cook. Serve with some warm crusty french bread for a great meal. I usually make the seasoning mix in larger quantities and store for other uses. You can use frozen greens and okra to make this easier. This recipe uses no oil, so it is lower in fat then other gumbos. It's adapted from Chef Paul Prudhomme's Fork in the Road cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 8 ounces andouille sausages, sliced
- 6 cups chopped mustard greens
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped okra
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup apple juice
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, browned
- 5 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 3 cups collard greens
- 6 cups cooked rice (I use brown)
- 1Combine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2Sprinkle the diced chicken with 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix.
- 3Preheat a heavy non-stick 5-quart pot, over high heat to 350 degrees, about 4 minutes.
- 4add 3 cups of the mustard greens, 2 cups of the onions, all of the bell pepper and the celery, 1 cup of okra and the bay leaves.
- 5Cook, stirring occasionally to check for sticking, about 8 minutes.
- 6Add the apple juice and remaining seasoning mix, stir and cook until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 7Add the seasoned chicken and the sliced andouille, cover the pot and cook 2 minutes.
- 8Add the browned flour and stir until it is completely absorbed and a paste forms.
- 9Cover and cook 1 minute.
- 10Add the chicken stock, stir well, cover and bring to a boil.
- 11Cook 5 minutes.
- 12Add the collard greens, the remaining mustard greens, onions, and okra, and mix thoroughly.
- 13Cover the pot and bring to a boil, about 5 minutes.
- 14Serve over the rice.
- 15Browning Flour:.
- 16Preheat an 8 inch non-stick skillet over high heat to 350 degrees, about 3 minutes.
- 17Add the flour and stir with a wire whisk to break up all lumps. When the flour starts to brown, turn the heat to low, shaking and stirring continuously.
- 18As soon as the flour is a milk-chocolate brown color, turn off the heat. This should take abut 6 minutes. Sift the browned flour and set aside until needed in the recipe.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Andouille Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (669 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.5
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 49.2 mg
- Sodium 1318.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 27.7 g