Recipe by remajohn
This chicken and bitter melon recipe is served with rice, brown or white. It will surprise you in that it is not bitter when done and actually has a delicious taste as well as being very healthy and full of things your body needs..
You will need
- 6 nice size bitter melons
- 1 (20 ounce) package boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons ground garlic
- 1 large white onion
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper, to your individual taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preparation prior to cooking. Cut ends off bitter melons and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out all the pulp and seeds. Cut each piece into 1/4 inch semi circles and put them aside for now. Cut chicken thighs into bite size pieces, wash and put aside for now,.
- Cooking Instructions: Place the olive oil in the pot and add the ground garlic and sliced up onion. Sautee until tender but not brown. Place the chicken in the pot and turn the heat up a little and cover. Open occasionally and just turn and stir the meat to assure it all cooks and on every side. Note: Do not overcook or brown. Just before the chicken is totally cooked, add the bitter melon and cup of water. This way as the melon cooks the chicken finishes up and will be soft and tender as well as completely cooked. The bitter melon will cook and steam at a medium temperature. Occasionally open and with a large metal cooks spoon turn the entire contents to make sure all bitter melon is cooked and none over cooked to the point of being soggy. Season and serve with rice.