Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted for ZWT 3, Scandinavia. I found this in a collection of Danish recipes online.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill (or 1/2 t dried dill weed)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- white pepper
- 2 tablespoons madeira wine
- 1 large bay leaf
- 8 ounces shrimp (peeled & deveined)
- 8 ounces asparagus (blanched, or 11 oz canned asparagus spears, drained)
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- Brown chicken in oil and butter and remove pieces to a baking dish.
- Add onion to skillet. When transparent add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add next 4 ingredients and stir 1-2 minutes. Add stock gradually to keep smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add paprika and bay leaf and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook in preheated 375ºF oven 40 minutes.
- Add shrimp and asparagus and cook covered, for an additional 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Stir in cream and adjust seasoning before serving.
This was very good, tastey, and an all round great combination of some of my favourite foods. I made as stated for all the ingredients but I thought the cooking times sounded to long. I browned the chicken the chicken as stated. But I did the rest on the stove top. I returned the chicken and cooked with a lid on for 20 Min's, added the prawns and cooked for about 8 min's then lastly added asparagus and cooked for about 4 Min's. This to me was perfect, sauce was the right thickness and asparagus still had a crunch. I would definitely make this again and it will go on my list of favourites. All of us said how much we enjoyed it and how yummy the sauce was. Thanks for posting