Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here's a comforting soup for a chilly day! This is a good soup for children's lunches when made with the alphabet macaroni.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock (homemade or canned broth)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup alphabet pasta or 1⁄2 cup other small macaroni noodles, for soup
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- Heat oil in a 4-5 quart pan over medium heat; add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Add stock, garlic, thyme, pepper and parsley; bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and macaroni; simmer, uncovered, until macaroni and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, tomato and chicken; heat until steaming.
This is great soup! I didn't have any chicken already cooked, so I covered the chicken with water and added carrot, onion, garlic, celery, salt and pepper to make my own broth, which I strained. I didn't have any zucchini, so I substituted 2 stalks of celery. Seasoning was perfect. The tomato was a nice addition. The kids loved the alphabet noodles. Would definitely make this again.