Recipe by TasteTester
The addition of alfredo sauce and roasted red peppers takes the standard chicken-rice casserole and "kicks it up a notch."
Top Review by Pinay0618
This was well-received at our table with a few adjustments - I was concerned about there being no salt or pepper, so I did add those, and also sprinkled with Parmesan before baking instead of using the breadcrumbs (just because it was easier!). Also, I didn't bake it anywhere near as long as the recipe instructs ... I think I went about 30 minutes, just until it was bubbly and the cheese started to brown a little. Thanks for sharing - this will be made again in our home!
- 1 (10 ounce) containerrefrigerated low-fat alfredo sauce
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked white rice or 2 1⁄2 cups wild rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (to save time, can use cooked rotisserie chicken from the market)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1⁄3 cup chopped bottled roasted red sweet pepper
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- *This recipe uses rice that has been already cooked. I cook mine the day ahead, or just make it before starting this recipe.*.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine pasta sauce and milk. Stir in cooked rice, chicken, peas, sweet peppers, nuts and basil. Transfer to 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Uncover and stir. Combine bread crumbs and melted butter; sprinkle on top of the casserole. Bake, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes more or until heated through and crumbs are golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.