Recipe by SusieQusie
From Rachel Ray of course - This is a very easy dish but tastes like you worked really hard.
Top Review by JayBird2U
The recipe was easy to follow, however, I was short on time and used already cooked seasoned chicken breast strips. Also, instead of biscuits, used puff pastries. The pastries gave the meal a light feeling. Will use this recipe again!
- 8 large refrigerated biscuits (Pillsbury "Grands" Flaky Layers work well)
- cayenne powder or sweet paprika
- 236.59 ml dry white wine
- 473.18 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil or 14.79 ml olive oil
- 29.58 ml butter
- 226.79 g small white mushroom, sliced
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 44.37 ml chopped pimiento
- 236.59 ml frozen green pea
- black pepper, to taste
- 29.58 ml chopped parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven according to package directions for biscuits.
- Arrange biscuits on nonstick baking sheet and sprinkle with a little ground cayenne pepper or sweet paprika.
- Bake until golden, remove biscuits from oven and then cool. (10-18 minutes depending on the type biscuit you use).
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, bring wine & chicken broth to a boil. Add the bay leaf.
- Gently drop in chicken breasts & lower heat to simmer.
- Poach chicken for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Preheat another skillet over medium heat.
- Add oil and butter.
- When butter melts into oil, add mushrooms and onion and cook 5 minutes until tender.
- Stir in flour and cook another minute or so.
- Remove chicken from broth and set aside.
- Whisk 2 to 2 1/2 cups poaching liquid into the mushroom, onion & flour mixture. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add pimentos and peas to the sauce.
- Dice chicken into bite-size pieces and return it to the sauce.
- Add ground black pepper to taste.
- To serve: Split the biscuits, place bottoms on plates and cover with ladles of Chicken a la King.
- Cap with biscuit tops and garnish with chopped parsley.