Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My mother used to make this recipe using leftover chicken. It has always been a favorite of mine, even though she used pimento which I don't care for. But you can leave it out, no harm done!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 small onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons pimientos, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced or 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1 cup frozen peas
- salt and pepper
- 6 biscuits or 6 toast
- Saute the onion and mushrooms in the oil until onion is translucent.
- Add the soup, poultry seasoning, and milk mixing until well blended.
- Add the pimento, if using, the chicken, peas, salt, and pepper.
- Cook 10-12 minutes.
- Cut biscuits in half.
- Serve chicken and gravy sauce on biscuits or toast points, if preferred.
Excellent. recipe . A real keeper. I cut the seasoning to 1/2 tsp (I used mock Bell's Poultry Seasoning, recipe #69629) and added some dried tarragon.
I spent the day in my shop finishing a customer's chair and before I knew it the time had flown by, dinner should have been started two hours ago! I had everything in the pantry to make this dish as well as a half eaten roasted chicken in the fridge. I did not have the mushrooms or the pimentos but sub'd minced red peppers for color. I only added 3/4 tsp. of poultry seasoning plus 1/4 tsp. garlic powder(garlic lover). Served it over mashed potatoes and it was a great filling, tasty and above all quick meal. Can't wait to try it with the mushrooms. I'm passing this one on to my college kids! Thank you for posting this recipe Chris.
1 teaspoon of poultry seasoning is too much for our taste.