Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is basically my grandma's recipe but I lightened it up a bit by using a few low-fat ingredients. If fat and calories are not an issue for you, use the 'real' stuff. Tastes great either way! This is also good with left-over turkey.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon butter substitute
- 3 cups roasted cooked chicken, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-fat cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 5 ounces frozen peas, thawed (1/2 10-oz pkg)
- 2 tablespoons pimientos, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan.
- Add all vegetables.
- Saute' until vegetables are barely tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer about 20 minutes.
- Serve in toast cups, or puff pastry shells, or over cornbread.
- To Make Toast Cups:.
- Brush a muffin tin with melted butter. Gently press and fit slices of very fresh bread into cups. Be careful not to tear the bread. Brush the bread with melted butter. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until light brown.
This was a HUGE hit in my family. I had my in-laws over for dinner and they couldn't get enough of it. I left out the pimientos and put it over rice. This is a DEFINITE keeper! You could also use a cooked chicken from the deli section of the grocery store and just chop it up if you need a quick meal.
I made this with turkey and used frozen mixed veggies (peas, carrots, corn & beans) instead of frozen peas. I also left out the pimientos as I didn't have any. My father happened to stop just as dinner was about to be served so he stayed. Between him and my husband they practically inhaled it! I served it over Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits and it was FANTASTIC. Will definitely make again! Thanks for the recipe!
Boiled the chicken in broth with a bay leaf and a little bit of poultry seasoning. Used yellow and orange peppers and omitted pimentos. This is a quick & delicious recipe!! A keeper!