Recipe by Irene the novice
This is a wonderful comfort food of my childhood, I have seen other versions but this is my Mom's. We always ate it on toast so for me that is the only way to eat it but any other recipe I've seen calls for rice.
Top Review by Baby Chevelle
This was good comfort food. I did add a jar of pimentos and some peas to this, and also used whole milk instead of evaporated, it was just easier when I got in a hurry, but I still thought it was delicious !! Thank you for sharing.
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped up
- 1 -2 celery rib, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 (14 ounce) can evaporated milk
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- cook chicken in broth until tender then remove, debone and cut it into chunks and set aside, leaving broth on low heat.
- Saute celery & onion in 1 stick of the butter until tender. Remove onions and celery from pan and set aside.
- Add the other stick of butter to pan & mix the flour into the melted butter mixing to have a smooth roux, stir into broth & simmer to thicken.
- Add chicken, onion, celery and mushrooms. Add evaporated milk and serve over toast - OK rice if you must.