Recipe by Debbwl
A great country style chicken with its origins based in Mexico. Pan fried potatoes the perfect side for sopping up the pan sauce that comes from the chicken and tomatoes. This is a favorite in our household. We serve with shredded lettuce, jalapenos and fried potatoes. (The ingredients in country recipes tend to be rough chopped)
- 3 lbs chicken, bone in and cut up
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium fresh tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and rough chopped (Caned tomatoes do not work well with this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- In 12 inch skillet brown chicken in cooking oil about 15 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes, lemon juice, sugar, salt, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, and 1/2 cup water. Cover; simmer 30 to 35 minutes or till chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to platter, keep warm.
- Measure pan juices; add water to make 2 cups. Return to skillet.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons cold water; add to skillet. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Spoon some sauce over chicken; pass remainding sauce.