Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is such a unique Italian chicken dish. Chicken breasts are briefly sauteed, then simmered in a sauce of honey, balsamic vinegar, wine, orange and lemon juice. Toss in a few toasted pignoli, and you've got a quick and delicious dinner with risotto or cappellini.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 allspice berries
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt and pepper (about a tsp. each)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons toasted pignolis (pine nuts)
- In a large plastic bag, combine flour and chicken breasts, toss to coat.
- In a large skillet, saute floured chicken breasts in olive oil with the whole garlic, bay leaves and allspice berries until chicken is browned.
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- To the skillet, add honey, vinegar and wine; cook to reduce slightly, about 10 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Return chicken to skillet, add orange and lemon juices, salt and pepper, and cook about another 20 minutes or until chicken is done and sauce is reduced slightly.
- Remove garlic, bay leaves and allspice berries from sauce.
- Add pignoli and heat through, another 5 minutes or so.
- Delicious with angel hair pasta or a nice risotto.
This is on my 'go to' list now. Easier than it looks. I added the cayenne to the flour, used some lemon and orange zest and served it with roasted brussel sprouts. Wonderful.
This is a very tasty and easy to prepare chicken dish. I served it with a mushroom risotto and steamed broccoli and it was a fantastic meal. I think I'd up the sour flavor next time a bit because it was a little sweet...but that's a matter of taste. Definitely a repeater!
This recipe was simple and fairly quick, but it turned out great. The flavor was nice and the chicken did not have too much coating on it. I did add some green pepper but other than that I followed the recipe exactly. I served this on top of plain risotto. I am only giving four stars because I think five stars should reserved for recipes that are spectacular. This was very good though and I will make it again.