Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This recipe was given to me by a dear friend, Rashida, but, being a picky eater, I revised the recipe a little. The original called for the chicken to be served in whole pieces with the sauce over rice. I have to admit that it's appearance didn't appeal to me, even though the taste was wonderful. I like to take the chicken, shred it, strain the sauce and thicken it, then add back together and serve over rice. It's really versatile, you can use a whole chicken, cut up, or all thighs if you choose. It's so good...even better rewarmed the next day!
- Mix together the rice vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar and peppercorns.
- Add the chicken breasts (they can be boneless or bone-in).
- Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least one hour.
- Transfer to a large pot with a lid and cook over low to medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken and let cool until you can pick it off the bone and shred it.
- Strain the sauce.
- Mix the corn starch and water together until there are no lumps.
- Add to the sauce and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in the shredded chicken, heat and serve over rice.