Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe uses bone-in skinless chicken breasts and less fat and soy sauce than usual. Lemon juice instead of vinegar gives it a different flavour, although use vinegar if that's what you like. You can substitute a whole chicken, cut up and with skin removed. Serve with steamed rice and vegetables.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 skinless chicken breasts, bone-in
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice or 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a large, deep non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until browned.
- Remove onion from skillet and set aside.
- Add chicken, garlic, lemon juice, soy sauce, water, pepper and bay leaf to the skillet and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to low; Cook covered for 25-30 minutes.
- Add browned onion to the chicken and stir.
- Cook, uncovered, an additional 5-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through and tender.
We loved this chicken, very tasty , the combination of onion garlic lemon and soy was quite delicious! I used boneless/skinless chicken breasts , they worked very well. I added a couple of mushrooms with red onion because i wanted to use them , they made a lovely topping for the chicken. Great flavour! Thanks for posting.