Recipe by Engrossed
This is another recipe from "The Philippine Cookbook". I made this recently for my husbands Filipino birthday dinner. I used cubed boneless skinless chicken breasts. I just cooked it in the pot until the sauce was reduced. I didn't bother with the broiler. I also used white vinegar as I don't care for apple cider vinegar. It was great! I might try it in the crockpot next time.
Top Review by Donalda
I just made this and found the apple cider vinegar way too strong. As it was cooking I added more coconut milk and brown sugar to cut the acidity, but my husband who eats everything without complaint ate about half and could not finish it. Since there was still a lot left, I poured out as much liquid as possible and added more coconut milk and now we will see if that will work.
- 1 (3 lb) roasting chickens, cut into serving pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 6 tablespoons garlic, finely minced
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 1 (12 ounce) can coconut milk
- salt or patis
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and marinate for two hours (traditional method is at room temperature, I put in the refrigerator).
- Boil mixture on stovetop until chicken is tender.
- Preheat Broiler.
- Remove chicken from sauce and broil until browned.
- Reduce sauce to half over medium heat.
- Pour over chicken.
- Serve hot with sticky rice.