1/1 Photo of Chicken Adobo (Cook's Illustrated)
1 hr 40 mins
This is a classic Filipino dish that Cook's Illustrated researched and revised. Chicken thighs are braised in soy sauce, vinegar and coconut milk. I served with coconut rice and a salad. The pre-cooking of the thighs releases a lot of fat that is discarded.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Toss the chicken with the soy sauce in a large bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- 2Remove chicken from the soy sauce allowing excess to drip back into the bowl. Transfer the chicken, skin-side down, to a 12 inch non-stick skillet; set aside the soy sauce.
- 3Place the skillet over medium-high heat and cook until the chicken skin is browned 7 to 10 minutes.
- 4While the chicken is browning, whisk coconut milk, vinegar, garlic, bay leaves and pepper into the soy sauce. (I chopped the garlic).
- 5Transfer the chicken to a plate and discard the fat in the skillet. Return the chicken to the skillet skin-side down, add the coconut milk mixture, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 20 minutes. Flip chicken skin side up and continue to cook, uncovered, until chicken is done, about 15 minutes (175 deg F internal temp).
- 6Transfer chicken to platter and tent loosely with aluminum foil.
- 7Remove bay leaves and skim any fat off surface of sauce. Return skillet to medium-high heat and cook until sauce is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- 8Pour sauce over chicken, sprinkle with scallion and serve.
- 9Note: I made half the recipe and found that the sauce reduced very quickly. I covered the skillet after turning the chicken, but still had very little sauce left - more fat. I will try stirring in some cream to make more sauce, but did not do so this time - the chicken was very moist and flavorful. In any event, if you do make just half the recipe, keep your eye on it!
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Adobo (Cook's Illustrated)
Serving Size: 1 (363 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 790.3
- Calories from Fat 405
- Total Fat 45.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.5 g
- Cholesterol 157.9 mg
- Sodium 1522.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 52.1 g
- Protein 36.7 g